As I wandered through the isles of Kroger, I came across this Magazine. Wow- what cool ideas! Inspired by this and the fabulous unique furniture and shelving at my favorite store Panopolie, I decided that I could find some cheap goodies to decorate the new house!
We are not planning to buy new furniture but are looking for things that could be made into something cool. There are a few places around here like the Habitat for Humanity warehouse and the flea market that sell unique and cheap items that need a little TLC.
I flipped through the magazine today while getting my car an oil change and inspection. There were several ideas that were just so fun. I don't go to garage sales and dumpster diving sounds disgusting, but hunting for things at cheap places sounds like fun. So on my way home, I decided to stop in at the local Goodwill. I found the cutest student desk and chair but it was $49- too expensive. I would have paid $10.
I did find these goodies for pennies that will be great in the new house:
1. the red metal 3D frame will match the red frames in my art studio
2. the 4 things in the back could be used as bookends but I plan to make 2 decorative shelves out of them
3. the 2 white frames will be repainted black and I will make something cool to sit on the one with the little shelf..these will go near the kitchen
4. the oval silver platter will be cleaned up, given a coat of metal paint, turned vertically, a hanger added to the back, and sheer ribbons holding my soldered picture charms will hang from the front- sounds strange but I can see it clearly in my head
5. the 2 metal mirrors will go in the 1/2 bathroom, instead of putting candles on the holder- I will put 2 decorative glass cups and fill them with little fresh flowers, there are little loops under the holders that I will also hang some soldered picture charms on w/ some crystal beads
6. and last is the 'made in England' silver candy/nut dish that I got for $2! It's a beauty. I will clean it up, run some sheer ribbon through the lower holes, and it will either go in the kitchen/family room to hold wrapped candies or it will go in my studio to hold buttons or something cute
My next goal is to find some cool and cheap tables and bookshelves!