This is one of my most requested recipes. It's pretty sweet and very flavorful. I prefer it topped with coconut and chopped pecans. Helen likes it with large toasted marshmallows. I have also made it with a crushed cornflake, brown sugar, nut, cinnamon and melted butter mixture.
This picture shows it topped with half coconut and pecans and half large marshmallows. The sweet potato mixture can be made in advance and warmed in the oven before adding the toppings.
Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole
5-6 very large and fat fresh sweet potatoes
1/2 c. unsalted butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. bourbon
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
12 oz. can evaporated milk
- Scrub sweet potatoes and place in a large stock pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Boil until tender.
- Place cooked sweet potatoes on a cutting board and slice each one open. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Spoon cooked sweet potato into large mixer bowl and discard the skins and any fibrous ends.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and sugar stirring constantly.
- Add in bourbon, cinnamon, and salt and cook for thirty more seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture over sweet potatoes.
- Slowly beat sweet potato mixture with an electric mixer.
- Gradually add in evaporated milk until desired consistency. I usually use the entire can.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Spoon mixture into a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Place favorite topping over the casserole unless you are using marshmallows which need to be added only the last 10 minutes of your baking time.
- Bake at 375* for 25 minutes or until heated through and bubbly around the edges.